Standard and extra ES document fields
An Enterprise Search document consists of:
- standard fields such as title and number,
- extra fields for fields not covered by the standard fields, for example a category or a status.
Standard fields in turn consist of:
- doc fields such as doc_title and doc_authors for fields that pertain to the document
- system fields such as system_number and system_location, added by the system for document registration and processing.
Extra fields use the prefix extra_. Extra fields may originate from:
- providers: a provider may add provider specific fields, for example fields added by the Smartsite provider include field extra_sms_contenttype_code.
- the search application: it may define extra fields at silo level, for example the above category or status as extra_category or extra_status respectively.
The set of document fields plays a role in the entire search solution.
- A provider obtains document content and document metadata from a source, and populates the fields of an ES document.
- An indexer sends the document to the Elastic Search index, according to a per field mapping specification. The mapping for example specifies that a field is a text requiring language specific analysis, or a keyword to be used as is.
- A search is performed in specific fields of documents. The searched fields or other fields are used for facetting.